- 2013 Field team leader of a 6-member team expedition to the origin of the Yellow River, June 27 through July 1, 2013.
- 2013 Field team leader of a 20-member team expedition to the southwestern Tibetan Plateau, May 25 through June 10, 2013.
- 2012 Field team leader of a 25-member team expedition to the Western Tibetan Plateau, July 5 through July 24, 2012.
- 2012 Field team leader of a 28-member team expedition to the Central Tibetan Plateau, July 10 through August 20, 2011.
- 2009 Field team leader of a 12-member team expedition to the Langtang Valley, Nepal, April 18 through May 15, 2009.
- 2006 Field team leader of a 25-member team expedition to collect ice cores from Naimona’nyi glacier in the Himalayans, September 9 through November 1, 2006.
- 2004 Field team leader of a 20 member team exploring in preliminary investigation of the Naimona’nyi ice fields in Southwestern Himalayas from August 11 to September 15th.
- 2000 Field team leader (Chinese side) of a 48 member team conducting ice core drilling program on the 6000 meter Puruogangri Ice Cap on the Central Tibetan Plateau from September 10 to November 5th, 2000.
- 1999 Field team leader of a 17 member team to carry out preliminary investigation of Puruogangri Ice Cap central Tibet. Funded by the Natural National Science Foundation of China. August and September, 1999.
- 1997 Field team leader of Sino-US ice core drilling program on the 7200 m (23,500ft) Dasuopu Glacier in the Himalayas.
- 1996 Field team Leader on Dasuopu expedition July 5 to Sept. 10, 1996. Fifty meters of ice cores drilled from the 7090 meter (23,260 ft.) Summit of Dasuopu. 18 meters firn core returned frozen from Tibet. Cores Highest ever drilled: Ice thickness maximum measured 350 meters.
- 1992 Chinese Team Leader, three-month joint China-USA expedition to Guliya Ice Cap, Western Kunlun, China.
- 1991 Chinese Team Leader, two month joint China-USA expedition to Guliya Ice Cap, Western Kunlun, China.
- 1990 Chinese Team leader, one and a half month joint China-USA expedition to Guliya Ice Cap, Western Kunlun, China.
- 1986 Two month glaciological investigation of the Dunde Ice Cap in China-US cooperative program.
- 1984 Three month glaciological investigation on the Glacier No. 1 in the Urumqi River in the Tian Shan Mountain
2012-2016 Principal Investigator: Strategic Priority Programme (B) of Chinese Academy of Sciences—Tibetan Multisphere interactions and their significance (TiMi)
- 2012-2015 Principal Investigator: Multiphase transformation of water and its impacts on the third pole, NSFC
- 2009-2012 Principal Investigator: China Network on Isotopes in Rivers and Precipitation (CNIRP), NSFC
- 2009-2012 Principal Investigator: Third Pole Environment (TPE) Program, CAS
- 2008-2010 Principal Investigator: Global warming and water cycle changes over the Tibetan Plateau, NSFC
- 2005-2010 Principal Investigator: Tibetan environmental changes and adaptation, National Basic Research Program (or 973 Program), the Ministry of Science and Technology, P. R. China
- 2007-2009 Principal Investigator: Stable oxygen isotopes and monsoon, NSFC
- 2003-2006 Principal Investigator: Environmental changes in cold regions, NSFC
- 2000-2002 Principal Investigator: Environmental reconstructions in the Muztagata region, the Ministry of Science and Technology, P.R.China
- 2001-2004 Principal Investigator: Carbon Cycle in Cold Regions and Climatic Change, NSFC
- 2001-2002 Principal Investigator: Global Warming and Glacial Retreat, CAS
- 1999- 2003 Principal Investigator: High resolution climatic record and its relating processes, the Ministry of Science and Technology, P.R.China
- 1997-1999 Principal Investigator: Climatic changes in the past 2000 years, NSFC
- 1996-1999 Principal Investigator: Climate and environment recorded at 7000m above sea level, CAS
- 1994-1995 Principal Investigator: Oxygen isotope in precipitation and its relation to temperature, the Ministry of Science and Technology, China
- 1992-1993 Principal Investigator: Global warming and cryosphere evolution, CAS
- 1990-1994 Principal Investigator: A study of ice core climate and environment record from the Guliya Ice Cap, NSFC